The Holliston Youth Basketball Association (HYBA) travel program is part of the Metrowest Basketball League
, an independent organization which operates and governs all teams and games in its programs. It is the mission of HYBA to constantly strive for the development of fundamental basketball skills and teamwork while simultaneously creating competitive teams at every level. Parents should be aware of the following aspects of Travel basketball:
- Travel basketball is a competitive format. The Travel team selection process is conducted through tryouts. While all players are welcome and urged to attend tryouts, all should be aware that team sizes are limited and that cuts are an unfortunate part of the tryout process.
- Travel Basketball fees covers the costs of the Metrowest Basketball League, charges for use of our school gyms, and referees.
- Each team generally plays 12 regular season games, with about 6 at Holliston gyms. The remaining games are played in area towns and may require travel time of up to 45-60 minutes or more each way. Holliston does not control scheduling, and most games are on Sundays. Playoffs usually begin during the first week of March.
- Teams typically practice twice a week with one practice on Saturday. However, some weeks may only be one practice due to gym availability or Saturday games.
- It is expected that basketball is the primary winter sport for Travel players and Travel players are expected to regularly attend all scheduled practices and games.
- Coaches are selected from parents of children on each team, wherever possible. This occurs immediately after Travel teams are selected. Any parent interested in a coaching position should contact the HYB board at [email protected]
If your child does not make a travel team, we encourage him/her to participate in the town programs in Holliston and/or surrounding towns. We look forward to continued success and player development in our upcoming season.