To register for HYB programs, please click onto the following: Register for HYB programs
The Holliston Youth Basketball (HYB) travel program is part of the Metrowest Basketball League, an independent organization which operates and governs all teams and games in its programs. It is the mission of the HYB travel program to constantly strive for the development of fundamental basketball skills and teamwork while simultaneously creating competitive teams at every level.
· Travel basketball teams practice 1-2 times times per week. Practices begin in mid November. One practice is usually during the week and one practice is usually held on Saturday. The games are generally on Sundays.
· There are 12 games scheduled during the season which starts in December and runs through February including up to two additional tournaments.
· Travel basketball playoffs usually begin in the first week of March.
· The Travel team selection process is conducted via a tryout format in late September early October. All Boys Travel players must participate in the Town Basketball Program
It is expected that basketball is the primary winter sport for Travel players and Travel players are expected to regularly attend all scheduled practices and games. We look forward to continued success and player development in our upcoming season. Please feel free to contact HYB directly if you have any questions at [email protected]
Parents should be aware of the following aspects of Travel basketball:
1. Travel basketball is a competitive format. While all players are welcome and urged to attend tryouts, all should be aware that team sizes are limited and that cuts are an unfortunate part of the tryout process. The Travel team selection process is conducted through tryouts.
2. Travel Basketball players are required to pay an additional fee for participation in the program. This fee covers costs of the Metrowest Basketball League, charges for use of our school gyms and costs of referees.
3. Each Travel team generally plays 12 regular season games, with about 6 at Holliston gyms. The remaining games are played in area towns and may require travel time of up to 45-60 minutes or more each way. Holliston does not control scheduling, and most games are on Sundays. Younger players tend to be scheduled for games in the mornings or early afternoons.
4. Coaches are selected from parents of children on each team, wherever possible. This occurs immediately after Travel teams are selected. Any parent interested in a coaching position should contact the HYB board at [email protected]
5. Please provide an email with a description of a) your coaching experience, if any; and b) your goals and philosophy as a youth basketball coach. Coach selections will be made from among qualified applicants by a sub-committee of the Board of Directors.
6. All Boys Travel players must participate in the Town Basketball Program
Travel Basketball tryouts
Travel Basketball tryouts will be held in mid-September – early October. Dates and times will be posted on the site. It is recommended that players attend both tryouts, players MUST attend at least one tryout to be eligible for the program. Please note that parents are NOT allowed to attend tryouts. Players should be dropped off and picked up at the respective tryout times.
Metrowest Basketball League
· Schedules, standings and directions are available on the Metrowest Basketball League site: www.metrowestbball.com.
· The 2019-20 Travel Basketball season runs from early December through February. Playoffs are scheduled for late February / early March.
· Travel teams play games on Sundays and practice one to two times per week. There is generally one practice during the week and one practice on Saturday.