Tryouts have concluded and Registration has closed for the 2023-2024 Season
HYBA Travel basketball for grades 4-8 is part of the MetroWest Basketball League. Parents should be aware of the following aspects of Travel basketball:
- Travel basketball is a competitive format. The Travel team selection process is conducted through tryouts held in September. While all players are welcome and urged to attend tryouts, all should be aware that team sizes are limited and that cuts are an unfortunate part of the tryout process.
- Each team generally plays 12 regular season games starting in early December, with 6 scheduled at Holliston gyms. The remaining games are played in surrounding towns and may require travel time of up to 45-60 minutes or more each way. HYBA does not control scheduling, and most games are on Sundays. Playoffs are held early to mid-March.
- Teams typically practice twice per week starting at the beginning of November with one of the practices on Saturday and one of the practices during the week. However, some weeks may be limited to one practice due to gym availability or Saturday games.
- Travel teams participate in the Hopkinton Tap-Off pre-season tournament which is typically the weekend before Thanksgiving. Each travel team will play 3 games during the weekend tournament.
- Tryouts will be held on Sunday, September 10th. A second tryout, if needed, will be held during the week of September 11h. Specific times will be announced soon. Players must register online before tryouts on September 10th to be eligible to attend tryouts on September 10th or a second tryout if needed. Players must be registered before September 10th to be eligible to attend a second tryout, If needed.
- Coaches are selected from parents of children on each team, wherever possible. This occurs after tryouts.
- It is expected that basketball is the primary winter sport for Travel players and Travel players are expected to regularly attend all scheduled practices and games.
- Grade 4 travels players are not allowed to play town ball.
- There is no requirement for grade 5-8 travel players to play town ball.
- Travel Basketball and Town Basketball are separate registrations. If you are on a travel team and also choose to play Town Ball, you will have to separately register and pay for Town Ball. Travel Basketball registration does not include the cost for Town basketball. Town Ball meets once a week on Saturdays.
- HYBA would like all children to participate regardless of a family's financial situation. Please contact HYBA for a financial aid request. All requests will be kept confidential.