The MetroWest League season is planning on moving forward and is scheduled to begin on January 2nd, 2021 and run for an 8-game regular season with playoffs; the season is typically 12 weeks but has been shortened this year due to a later start date. Registration for the upcoming season is now open and active on the Holliston Youth Basketball website, https://www.hollistonbasketball.com/ . Travel basketball is for Holliston 4th – 8th graders who are interested in competitive basketball and includes playing towns outside of Holliston through the Metrowest Basketball League.
We understand that it may be difficult to make that decision without knowing what to expect this season and have included as much information as possible below to help you make an informed decision.
· Teams may need to be determined without tryouts, as we do not have access to gyms within town for our typical try-out process. If we are unable to hold try-outs in person, HYB will create teams based on registration numbers, team rosters from last season and coaches’ evaluations. We are currently evaluating the specific need for 4th grade try-outs; if you have a 4th grade son or daughter who is interested, please register and we will provide updates for the 4th grade try-out/team selection process once we have a better sense of the number of interested players.
· Games may be played on weekday evenings or on weekends; there will be NO home games in Holliston. Our current understanding is that games will be played in Mansfield, Foxborough, Stoughton, Taunton, Westford, or Hanover.
· There will likely be no practices. HYB is evaluating alternative venues to hold practices, however availability is limited and the price for private gyms is significantly more than our usual rental fee. Therefore, the fee for travel basketball will be announced later, though we do not expect that it will be more expensive than previous year’s fees given the shortened season and no town-ball requirements (there is no fee to register).
· Masks will be required for players during the game; this means that players will be wearing masks both on the bench and on the court while playing.
· While spectator guidelines have not been finalized, it is likely that games will be played with a limit of 1-2 parent spectators and all attendees will be required to wear masks at all times. It is also highly likely that each family will need to have a form filled out in advance of each game for COVID contract tracing purposes.
· If you are interested in coaching, please contact HYB at [email protected]
Please note, Holliston Youth Basketball will be strictly following state, CDC, and Metrowest guidelines as well as implementing our own procedures and protocols to protect the safety of participants. Participation in Holliston Youth Basketball programming during the COVID-19 pandemic is a risk. Parents and guardians of MYBA participants as well as coaches take sole responsibility for their risk.
The season could end at any time due to state guidelines or based on the discretion of the HYB Board of Directors. There will be a defined refund policy. Please see additional information provided by the state of Massachusetts around COVID policies and guidelines pertaining to youth sports:
If you have any questions, please contact HYB at [email protected]
We understand that everyone needs to decide about participating that is best for your family; please use your best judgement.
Stay safe and healthy,
Holliston Youth Basketball
To register for HYB programs, please click onto the following: Register for HYB programs
The Holliston Youth Basketball (HYB) travel program is part of the Metrowest Basketball League, an independent organization which operates and governs all teams and games in its programs. It is the mission of the HYB travel program to constantly strive for the development of fundamental basketball skills and teamwork while simultaneously creating competitive teams at every level.
· Travel basketball teams practice 1-2 times times per week. Practices begin in mid November. One practice is usually during the week and one practice is usually held on Saturday. The games are generally on Sundays.
· There are 12 games scheduled during the season which starts in December and runs through February including up to two additional tournaments.
· Travel basketball playoffs usually begin in the first week of March.
· The Travel team selection process is conducted via a tryout format in late September early October. All Boys Travel players must participate in the Town Basketball Program
It is expected that basketball is the primary winter sport for Travel players and Travel players are expected to regularly attend all scheduled practices and games. We look forward to continued success and player development in our upcoming season. Please feel free to contact HYB directly if you have any questions at [email protected]
Parents should be aware of the following aspects of Travel basketball:
1. Travel basketball is a competitive format. While all players are welcome and urged to attend tryouts, all should be aware that team sizes are limited and that cuts are an unfortunate part of the tryout process. The Travel team selection process is conducted through tryouts.
2. Travel Basketball players are required to pay an additional fee for participation in the program. This fee covers costs of the Metrowest Basketball League, charges for use of our school gyms and costs of referees.
3. Each Travel team generally plays 12 regular season games, with about 6 at Holliston gyms. The remaining games are played in area towns and may require travel time of up to 45-60 minutes or more each way. Holliston does not control scheduling, and most games are on Sundays. Younger players tend to be scheduled for games in the mornings or early afternoons.
4. Coaches are selected from parents of children on each team, wherever possible. This occurs immediately after Travel teams are selected. Any parent interested in a coaching position should contact the HYB board at [email protected]
5. Please provide an email with a description of a) your coaching experience, if any; and b) your goals and philosophy as a youth basketball coach. Coach selections will be made from among qualified applicants by a sub-committee of the Board of Directors.
6. All Boys Travel players must participate in the Town Basketball Program
Travel Basketball tryouts
Travel Basketball tryouts will be held in mid-September – early October. Dates and times will be posted on the site. It is recommended that players attend both tryouts, players MUST attend at least one tryout to be eligible for the program. Please note that parents are NOT allowed to attend tryouts. Players should be dropped off and picked up at the respective tryout times.
Metrowest Basketball League
· Schedules, standings and directions are available on the Metrowest Basketball League site: www.metrowestbball.com.
· The 2019-20 Travel Basketball season runs from early December through February. Playoffs are scheduled for late February / early March.
· Travel teams play games on Sundays and practice one to two times per week. There is generally one practice during the week and one practice on Saturday.